A princely pleasure garden with a spectacular greenhouse

Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens

The archway at the Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens. Image: Staatsanzeiger für Baden-Württemberg, Anja Stangl
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL GREEN OASIS IN THE CITY

THE GARDENS

The botanical gardens are located close to Karlsruhe Palace. Secluded from the noise of the street and the hustle and bustle of the palace gardens, this place offers historic buildings and unusual plants – a charming and exotic refuge.

Hanging orchids at the Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Sandra Eberle

Plants from around the world, at home in Karlsruhe.

A MULTITUDE OF PLANT SPECIES

Next to the orangery and the Federal Constitutional Court building, the botanical gardens established by the Grand Dukes of Baden remain a green treasure. Native and exotic groves, potted trees, flowers and herbs share this cozy space. The conservatories hold amazing cacti and succulents, orchids and tropical greenery: a botanical collection with plants from every continent.

Portrait of Margrave Karl Wilhelm von Baden-Durlach who founded the palace and city in 1715. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Arnim Weischer

The margrave was famous for his tulip collection.

FLOWER-LOVING PRINCES

The Karlsruhe court had a special appreciation for garden design and botany. Even Margrave Karl Wilhelm von Baden-Durlach, who founded the palace and city in 1715, was a plant enthusiast. He was famous for his tulip collection. Karoline Luise, wife to his successor, Karl Friedrich, spent great sums importing plants previously unseen in Baden. In so doing, she created the foundation for the botanical gardens. In 1808, Grand Duke Karl Friedrich had the gardens erected at their current location.

Aerial view of Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Achim Mende

Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens from above.

INFLUENTIAL ARCHITECTS

Two of Baden's most important architects were responsible for the design of the botanical gardens. Friedrich Weinbrenner designed the first master plan for the land and the conservatories. His successor, Baden's senior architect, Heinrich Hübsch, redesigned the gardens in the 1850s. The orangery, conservatories and gatehouse were built following his plans.

Mehr erfahren

Figures
Art & spaces
Work & play
Science & technology

Please select maximally 5 keywords.