A princely pleasure garden with a spectacular greenhouse

Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens

Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens, gatehouse. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Dirk Altenkirch
PICTURESQUE ENSEMBLE

THE COMPLEX

The botanical gardens are probably the most idyllic green space in Karlsruhe. It is bordered by the orangery, the conservatories and the impressive cast-iron structure that previously served as the winter garden.

Aerial view of Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Achim Mende

Orangery, children's gallery, central building.

THE GROUNDS

Located near the palace, the botanical garden grounds are triangular in shape to enable integration into the city's layout. The conservatories and the gatehouse mark one side going from the palace and continuing beyond the gardens into Bismarckstraße. A court theater was once located on the opposite side, on the site of the former orangery. This site now houses the Federal Constitutional Court.

The palm houses and the gatehouse at the Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Steffen Hauswirth

The palm houses and the gatehouse.

THE GARDENS

Shrubs and trees are planted densely along the garden border and a large open space stretches out from the center. Curved paths run through the area, broken up with water basins and statues. Ginkgo, magnolia, cork and sequoia: The trees in this garden have a variety of different origins. Some have even survived since the time of the grand dukes. In the summer, the gardens are enhanced with countless potted plants.

ART IN THE ORANGERY

The orangery, with its eye-catching cupola, was built between 1853 and 1857 by architect Heinrich Hübsch and was used as a winter garden for citrus saplings. Since 1930, it has belonged to the Staatliche Kunsthalle Karlsruhe and now houses an exhibition of art from the second half of the 20th century through to the present day.

Karlsruhe Botanical Gardens, conservatories. Image: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg, Dirk Altenkirch

The conservatories shining like new.

THE CONSERVATORIES

The conservatories and the entire ensemble were destroyed in World War II. Following reconstruction in the 1950s, they were set up as public conservatories. The conservatories were extensively renovated between 2014 and 2018 and have now been restored to their original glory. The three conservatories mimic three different climate zones: The former cold house is home to camellias and succulents, while the palm house and hot house are home to tropical plants.

Mehr erfahren

Art & spaces
Eras & events
Work & play

Please select a maximum of 5 keywords.