THE BUILDINGS IN HANS-THOMA-STRAßE
The children's gallery–once the court garden director's residence–and the orangery are located west of the Staatliche Kunsthalle's central building, along Hans-Thoma-Straße. They shield the botanical gardens from the street. The orangery once had a barrel-shaped glass roof, but it has not survived. The striking cupola on the south end remains however. The structure is particularly lovely because of the interplay between various materials, characteristic of the architecture of Heinrich Hübsch (1795–1863).